Date:      Sun, 09 Sep 2001 22:58:02 -0400
From:      Justin Sheehy <justin@iago.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   trouble with Seagate ATAPI tape under stable

I did a clean install of 4.3 and upgraded it to stable today.  Most
things seem fine, but I cannot get the EIDE tape drive to work.

The device appears as follows at boot time:

ast0: TAPE <Seagate STT20000A> at ata0-slave using PIO4

mt status seems okay:

# mt -f /dev/nrast0 status
Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x01:X3.22-1983      512 bytes      800      none
---------available modes---------
0:        default              variable       0        none
1:        default              variable       0        none
2:        default              variable       0        none
3:        default              variable       0        none
---------------------------------
File Number: 0  Record Number: 0        Residual Count 0

However, if I try any operation to write to the tape (dd, tar, whatever)
it fails with an I/O error and the following is sent to syslog:

ast0: WRITE - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=30 ascq=00 error=00

In some cases I also see this:

ast0: READ - BLANK CHECK asc=00 ascq=05 error=00

In no case am I able to write labels or other data to tapes.  Am I
missing something obvious, is this a known issue in stable, or should
I submit a bug?

Thanks.

-Justin