Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:33:11 -0500
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Use of newest version number such as 10.0 instead of current

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
>
>  Dear all ,
>>
>> Instead of using Current and then renaming everything  for a new version
>> number ,
>> is it not possible to use the newest version number in place of Current
>> when it is branched .
>>
>> Such a change will prevent unnecessary renaming problems .
>>

>> For everyone , it i very easy to understand that 10.0 is the latest ,
>> therefore the current one .
>>
>> The current may be used as a symbolic link to the newest version number ,
>> such as used by Debian .
>>

>> For example , for FreeBSD 9.0 RC1 , the ports directory name was
>>
>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-current/Latest/
>>

>> which is NOT available now , and
>>

>> pkg_add -r *
>>
>> is giving error about directory not found .
>>

>> This is preventing testing and / or using efforts .
>>

>> I know , it is possible to rename local link names , but
>> everyone is not so much knowledgeable .
>>

> I'm not sure I understand your proposal.
> In a month (er, two.  well, maybe three) when 9.0 is released, do you
> propose that the svn HEAD be called:
> (a) 10.0
> (b) 9-CURRENT
> (c) CURRENT
> (d) something else
>
> I do not realy care for either (a) or (b), since (a) would imply that the
> version is not changing, even as incompatible KBI/ABI changes are made.
> Likewise for (b), once the KBI/ABI changes, HEAD is decidedly no longer a
> form of '9'.
>
> -Ben Kaduk

During development of Version 9 , the name of directory was

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-current/Latest/

During the 9.0 Release RC1 , the above name was used .

Before releasing the 9.0 Release RC2 , the above has been changed .

This change has broke the links in 9.0 Release RC1 .

When we look at the ftp sites ( including mirrors ) all of them
has changed .

This naming structure is requiring re-structuring all of the directories
over all ftp , and other sites .

This is a wasted effort .

Instead of doing this , a scheme like the following
may be used :

Instead of using /*-9-Current/ , use 10.0 for current .

Assume our main directory is the following :

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/

As next directory , use 8.1 , 8.2 , 9.0 for current .

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/8.1/
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/8.2/
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/9.0/

All of the directories , for example ,
... ports
... release
... snapshot
... whatever is related to 8.2 , 9.0 will be under 8.2 or 9.0 ,
in such a way that nowhere else a directory with name , for example ,
9.0 will exist ...

For example :

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/9.0/amd64/ports/
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/9.0/amd64/packages/
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/9.0/amd64/snapshot/
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/9.0/amd64/release/
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/9.0/amd64/stable/

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/9.0/amd64/doc/
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/9.0/amd64/doc/handbook/
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/9.0/amd64/doc/man/

Explain to the people that 9.0 is the "Development" branch ,
NOT for production use .

A single sentence to learn .

Another step may be to insert  an explicit
warning message  into current motd file about "Development" status of 9.0 .

When time comes to make a release of 9.0 , which a new development
branch will be generated ,

take a copy of 9.0 , and rename this directory as 10.0 .

By using suitable find/replace scripts ,

find all occurrences of 9.0 with strict match and replace them by 10.0 .

After generating directory 10.0 , propagate it to mirrors .

Please , notice that , NOTHING is changed for the 9.0 ,
and NOTHING is broken with respect to generation of a new branch ,
all over the world ....

Then start to work on 10.0 ...
Continue in that way .

Apply the similar steps to 9.0 for 9.1 :

Take a copy of 9.0 , rename it as 9.1 , ...

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk