Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:24:21 +0100
From:      "Kastaki" <kastaki@ganbert.com>
To:        "Claudiu Attila Balogh" <claus@saguaro.ro>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MODEM & THE COMPLETE FREEBSD

Thanks......after a long struggle, the modem is now up and running....it is
a good learning experience, which I can't say The Complete FreeBSD was - I
believe that book is a waste of money.
The first few chapters are good in installing the OS, but the author needs
to understand that most readers (like me) are coming from other platforms.
He touched Modems, but never really explained anything about setting them
up. He never mentioned that Internal WinModems can not be used. Moving on
the DNS, he set up a network and very slightly explained how to setup the
named daemon - but never really explained how to set it up in general. Again
he does the same thing with Samba and Apache.
This book was a waste of time, and I am resorting to either asking questions
on this mailing list, and/or doing multi-searches on the internet.
I am enjoying myself, but I just feel I want to catch up with everyone else
on this mailing list, and that this book has slowed me down massively.

I still like to know a simple fact - why is it impossible for FreeBSD to
work with Internal Modems (especially WinModems).