Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 11:28:13 +0200
From:      Sebastian Lederer <lederer@bonn-online.com>
To:        Charlie & <root@vinyl.quickweb.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do you have some neat configuration files?

Charlie & wrote:

> It would be a really good idea to include a sample AfterStep or
> Window Maker start up script (well, scripts in the case of Window
> Maker) since they command a very high percentage of the window
> manager market. I have customized Window Maker scripts that I changed to
> work under FreeBSD if you're interested. Plus, when Apple goes more
> and more NeXtSteppy there's bound to be an increase in interest with the
> nextstep interface clones...

Not quite. Apple's new Rhapsody (which will hopefully be a complete
Mach-based 4.4BSD) will look like the current MacOS 8.  So the original
NextStep look will soon be "officially" extinct. Well, AfterStep/WindowMaker
still looks great, though.

A problem with window manager configuration files could be that most of them
contain menu definitions for starting applications, and usually 90% of the
menu entries will point to applications which are not installed. That would
be quite frustrating for newbies if they try out the menus and absolutely
nothing happen, not even an error message. So at least from that point of
view, the configuration files should be quite minimal, maybe with lots of
commented out entries for "common" applications. Well, I'm sure there are
people who think quite the opposite...

Best regards,
Sebastian Lederer

--