Date:      Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:27:55 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: network boot

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

 On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 03:18:12AM -0400, Miles Nordin wrote:
> Is there a way to netboot FreeBSD/sparc64?
>=20
> I'm coming to FreeBSD from NetBSD, where I netboot NetBSD/sparc64 and
> just about everything except PeeCees, so I already know how to set up
> rarp, dhcp, tftp, NFS.  Also I was able to cat the split FreeBSD
> release chunks and untar them---I don't know if you're supposed to do
> that, but I did it and poked around---so I have something like a root
> filesystem and am able to read man pages.
>=20
> However I don't understand FreeBSD's booting process, and I don't see
> where to get the second-stage loader binary to feed OpenPROM over
> tftp, something like NetBSD's /usr/mdec/ofwboot.net. =20
>=20
> Also something like the diskless(8) man page to explain how the
> second-stage loader likes to load, on NetBSD the kernel but on FreeBSD
> I guess it has to load a great many things like the several files that
> make up the rest of the bootloader and kernel modules and whatever,
> once I have the tftp second-stage loader how do I direct the booting
> system to these other files?

Basically, you use rarp and tftp to pull a copy of /boot/loader onto
the machine, then dhcp to advertise an installed root image of freebsd
(basically unpack a freebsd image from the release media, or use
installworld into a DESTDIR, etc).  You'll need to configure it
appropriately, e.g. set up /etc, diskless booting per diskless(8),
etc.

Here's a snippet from my dhcpd.conf

        host deo-ultra5 {
                hardware ethernet 08:00:20:fd:69:bd;
                fixed-address 216.136.204.95;
                always-reply-rfc1048 on;
                option host-name "deo-ultra5.freebsd.org";
                option root-path "216.136.204.22:/a/nfs/sparc64/6.dir1/";
        }

Kris

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC--