Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 16:05:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: learning about ./configure and pkg-config

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> >> (10.18.2002 @ 1924 PST): Peter Leftwich said, in 1.7K: <<
> > I downloaded the following from gnome.org "bonobo-activation-1.0.3.tgz" and
> > gunzipped then untarred it and changed to the resulting directory.
> >
> > When I ran `./configure` it got through most checks fine, except for the
> > pkg-config ones near the end.  Here is the output:
> >
> > I couldn't find my ..../lib/pkgconfig directory or locate sample
> > PKG_CONFIG_PATH statements on the web.  Can someone clue me in please?
>
> Peter, unless you feel comfortable editing configure scripts (which is

There's the rub.  I don't feel comfortable editing configure scripts and my
post did not have anything to do with them.  When I don't feel comfortable
about something, I read up on it or seek assistance and guidance from an
online community.  Are you discouraging my quest for knowledge?

Besides, as far as I knew I -was- dealing with something very close to a
port; The ./configure script would work as long as I had the dependencies
and lib's etc.

> where your PKG_CONFIG_PATH will be decided), you really ought to just
> use the ports tree. /usr/ports/devel/bonobo-activation
> - -Adam
> adam@vectors.cx
> adamw@FreeBSD.ORG

Twice now I have gone through stages where I installed the entire ports
tree then, in a flurry, have done an `rm -rf` to the entire thing.  I find
it more economical to just download one port at a time -- not that that has
worked out for me yet either...

After all, though, I don't even know for sure if I can "reinstall" bits and
pieces and parts of Gnome 2; When I startx I get dialog boxes with errors
about using xscreensaver (as root I suppose) and it being unable to launch
gnome-panel and nautilus due to some bonobo-activation server problem! :(

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder