Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:37:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        cosmin <cosmin@nacom.phy.uic.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: malloc message with nfs transfer

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, cosmin wrote:

> malloc() of "64" with the following non-sleepable locks held:  exclusive
> sleep mutex inpr = 0 (0xc4444ef0) locked @
> /usr/src/sys/netinet/udp_usrreq.c:378 exclusive sleep mutex netisr lock
> r = 0 (0xc061be80) locked @ /usr/src/sys/net/netisr.c:215
>
> I'm getting those on the console, and it seems that they only happen
> when users start an nfs transfer to the nfs exported filesystem.  The
> exported filesystem is a vinum raid5 array but I don't know if that has
> anything to do with the messages.

Sorry, just to be clear -- is the message you're getting on the NFS
client, or the NFS server?  Could you turn on debug.witness_ddb and get a
stack trace for the warning?

> Before I upgraded from 4.8, I used to be able to send at about 8mb/s to
> the nfs exported raid5.  After upgrading to 5.1-CURRENT, the maximum
> speed has been only 4mb/s.  I'm wondering if the messages above have
> anything to do with the performance drop.

You appear to have the kernel debugging features turned to high (which
will be useful for resolving this problem :-).  Turn off WITNESS and
INVARIANTS and you should see a substantial performance improvement.  It
may not be back up to 4.x levels -- we hope that with ongoing network
stack locking work we'll be back to 4.x (and exceed them) in the next few
months.

Thanks,

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories