Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 12:15:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Greg Bedrossian <greg@gcsl.com>
Cc:        adhir@forumone.com, Hostmaster@gcsl.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fatel trap 12

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Greg Bedrossian wrote:

> Its not clear what Doug has experienced in this case. It would appear from his
> brief comment that others have complained of the same thing. All-in-all there
> seems to be very little discussion on the subject. What is a trap 12 message
> and what does it mean?

A Trap 12 occurs when the kernel attempts to access a memory address that
does not fall within its address space.  This would occur if a pointer to
a subroutine or memory block was corrupted.  This is why I keep quoting
the 'Fault virtual address' since that's the memory address the kernel
tried to access.  On the batch with 3.1, it's usually really low, like <
0x10000.  The kernel loads in at that memory address, so nothing should be
going lower than that.

> At this point we will try to install on another machine with 3.1 and
> see where we go. If the problems persist, we will fall back to 3.0
> (problematic ?) or 2.2.7. We don't have 2.2.8.

I've had luck with 3.0 on both my workstation and a gateway server.  We
put 3.1 on a P3/500 and it has certain nuances.

> > > I'm getting tired of this.
> > >
> > > Use 2.2.8.

Doug White