Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2001 20:18:49 +0100
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>, Mitch Collinsworth <mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Extremely large (70TB) File system/server planning

Mike Smith(msmith@freebsd.org)@Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 12:52:24PM -0800:

> You can't do this with a NetApp either; they max out at about 6TB now
> (going up to around 12 or so soon).  You might want to talk to EMC and/or
> IBM, both of whom have *extremely* large filers.
from my experiences with filers (we have both, country and western here
- eg. netapp f740/760 and emc^2 symmetrix/connectrix) i can only say
that emc is a pile of sh** - no pun intended. actually the boxes work
okay, but you need a shitload of datamover boxes from emc to achieve
performance similar to netapp's 760 series (up to 12 data movers with
2gig of ram each). emc goes brute force, netapp use their brains.

when it comes to ibm, as far as i understand you have to hook up their
filers to rs/6000(aix) or s/370 or s/390 systems since they are "only"
fibrechannel or ficon attached raid subsystems, so the client platform
is responsible for handling all the filesystem stuff.

you might also check out lsi logic's filer products, i think they
support 12tb via nas.

> Your friend may also want to look at Traakan, who have a novel product in
> this space.
i checked out their website which says "under construction"
strange...

/k

--
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- http://www.webmonster.de -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de