Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:14:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tony Fleisher <takhus@takhus.mind.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/29182: Handbook needs to be updated to reflect security support changes

>Number:         29182
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Handbook needs to be updated to reflect security support changes
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

	Section 20.2 "FreeBSD-CURRENT vs. FreeBSD-STABLE" of
	The FreeBSD Handbook needs to be updated to reflect the
	changes announced by the Security Officer in the 11 May 2001
	annoucement "Changes to FreeBSD security support policy",
	specifically this paragraph is not true (and, in fact,
	is contradicted by the annoucement):

	(In section 20.2.2.2)
		Tracking FreeBSD-STABLE also gives you easy access to
		security fixes for FreeBSD as they are released.
		However, you do not need to track FreeBSD-STABLE to do this,
		as every security advisory for FreeBSD explains how to
		fix the problem for the releases it affects.

>How-To-Repeat:
>Fix:
	I think that some combination of updating this section of the
	Handbook and perhaps adding a new section "Supported Releases"
	(which is kept up to date) is needed to fix this inconsistancy.