Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 22:22:55 -0500
From:      Marc Kelly <marc@marcandkayoko.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Samba+CUPS+Win98: did not submit print job to cups

Hi.  I moved my printer from parallel port on Win98 to parallel port on
FreeBSD.  I can now print from FreeBSD using CUPS (hooray!).  But I've had a
lot of trouble even adding a printer share on my Win98 client.  The printer
share is browsable.  (Though I had to give a password.  I thought guest ok
would not require password).  But Win98 would always error saying "Could not
add printer."  I never figured out why.  Anyway, I had the printer driver
installed on Win98 already (printer used to live there).  I added a "port"
and changed from parallel to "\\Cadence\epson" within the exising printer
properties.  Win98 accepted it.  But is it valid?  I print from notepad and
see my print job in the printer queue from Win98.  But CUPS says it's nowhere
to be found.  Nothing.  I assume my problem is with Samba, since I can print
from CUPS locally.

What in the world am I doing wrong?  I turned up log level to "4", but the
problem isnt apparent to me.  My [homes] does work when I map it through
explorer.

My smb.conf:
[global]
   log level = 1