Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2005 11:20:30 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no NIC found

> Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:37:54 -0800 (PST)
> From: twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> Hey all, I'm trying to get on the 5.3 bandwagon with my Toshiba
> Tecra 8100 after using 4.x on it for years (all same hardware).
> The only problem I have is that my ethernet card is not seen.
> It's a 3com 3c589c, which under 4.x worked right out of the gate
> with the ep driver.  Now when I try to start pccardd manually I
> get the "fatal error: no PC-CARD slots" message in
> /var/log/messages.  ifconfig -a gets me a list of plip and lo
> interfaces only.  The only thing I could find online was a
> thread saying there was a bug:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugbusters/2004-December/000070.html.
>
> Is this still the case?  It just seems hard to believe that I
> can't use a pcmcia card (I will try to find another one to test
> with, but this one has worked under 4.x FBSD, 3 Linux distros
> and 3 windoze versions).

This is getting to be a FAQ. It is documented in the Handbook and
release notes, but keeps popping up. Unless your system is fairly
old, it's unlikely that the problem discussed in PR is causing a
problem.

By default, V5 does not use pccardd any more. It uses cbb and
cardbus. pccardd won't run or start with the GENERIC config.

What is your config? What does dmesg show? Is devd running? (It is
critical to getting devices to attach.) rc.conf? there is way too little
information to really guess what's failing.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)