Date:      Sun, 7 May 1995 19:40:28 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Tiggie <kleung@frodi.cs.uop.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with installing XFree86-3.1.1

On Sun, 7 May 1995, Tiggie wrote:

> I am currently running FreeBSD SNAP<041295?> with XFree86-3.1.1.  I
> checked into my /dev directory and did not find the tty00 device <is this
> an example of what it should be>.  Then I did the command "dmesg|grep
> sio" and the result were that sio0 and sio1 existed.  I also know my
> mouse is connested to com1 when in DOS.  Doesn't that mean sio0 is the
> device on my mouse?  Next I typed "sh /dev/MAKEDEV tty00", the command
> ran with no errors, but the device tty00 did not appear with the "ls"
> command.

    Use /dev/ttyd0 for your mouse instead.  I think /dev/tty00
disappeared a few snapshots ago.  If /dev/ttyd0 isn't there for some
reason, type "sh /dev/MAKEDEV tty0".

> Is this a command problem and is listed in a faq, would you please direct
> me to it.  I have already read the README file on XFree86 3.1.1.

    I want to know why MAKEDEV can't simply take a name argument, then
create that device.  "sh /dev/MAKEDEV ttyv9" makes perfect sense to
me, while "sh /dev/MAKEDEV vty9" is not immediately intuitive.  Don't
throw out the current ones (e.g., I like how "sh /dev/MAKEDEV vty9"
will make ttyv0 to ttyv8), but a "once-off" mode would be nice to
have.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org