Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 17:42:37 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Scott Drassinower <scottd@cloud9.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel 100+ troubles

> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > There have been some serious NFS-related fixes subsequent to 2.2.6; it
> > is quite possible that you're seeing the bugs that these addressed
> > rather than a hardware problem.  It is useful to add the 'l' flag to
> > ps(1) and see what the hung processes have in their WCHAN field, as
> > this gives more detail than just "disk wait".
>
> UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
>   0  2438  2429   0 -18  0   228  520 vmopar D     p4-   0:00.02 sz
>
> vmopar is new to me.

This looks like a known problem which was fixed literally just a few
days ago. It's timing sensitive, which is probably why you're only
seeing it at 100Mbps.

> > If you have an opportunity, you might want to build a 2.2.7 kernel and
> > see if you can reproduce the problems.  If you don't have the resources
> > to do this in-house, you should be able to ask on the freebsd-stable
> > list for someone to generate a -stable kernel for you to try.
>
> Will I need a 2.2.7 system to build a 2.2.7 kernel?

You should be able to build a 2.2.7-stable kernel on a 2.2.6 system.
Note that a 2.2.7-release kernel will still exhibit the problem you're
noticing above.  (I say 'should' because I can't verify that this is
the case at this point.)

The best way to go about updating a test system will be to fetch the
CVSup DIY package using

 pkg_add ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CVSup/cvsupit.tgz

You might want to read the CVSup FAQ first, see:

 http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/

Once you have updated your sources, you should be able to build a test
kernel.  Please let us know how you go, and don't hesitate to ask if
you run into any more problems.

Note that I've redirected this discussion to the freebsd-stable list,
as I don't think this is a hardware problem.