Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:52:26 +0100
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 11:06 PM +0100 2000/1/21, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>
> >  Thats not so easy. What about this:
> >
> >  cvsup                IN CNAME        cvsup1.freebsd.org.
> >  cvsup                IN CNAME        cvsup2.freebsd.org.
> >  cvsup                IN CNAME        cvsup3.freebsd.org.
> >  cvsup                IN CNAME        cvsup4.freebsd.org.
> >  cvsup                IN CNAME        cvsup5.freebsd.org.
> >  cvsup                IN CNAME        cvsup6.freebsd.org.
> >  cvsup                IN CNAME        cvsup7.freebsd.org.
> >  cvsup                IN CNAME        cvsup8.freebsd.org.
>
>         As I understood the rules of good Domain Administration,
> everything that is publicly visible in your network needs to have an
> MX record.  But with this scheme you can't give cvsup.freebsd.org an
> MX record, because pointing an MX at a CNAME violates the RFC.

You can, simply do this:

cvsup		IN MX		10 hub.freebsd.org

No violation of any RFC whatsoever.

>         Personally, I would much prefer the CPAN solution of a program
> that takes the IP address of the query source, and then using
> knowledge of what IP addresses are generally located where in the
> world (available via the whois maps in the various regions, which
> could presumably be imported and stored locally), returns a short
> list of addresses in the preferred order.  For those networks where
> multiple addresses may have equal "cost", it can then randomize for
> load balancing purposes.

Don't go by whois, it does not reflect the physical connectivity. Go
by BGP path length if you want to do something like this.

>         It requires either a hacked nameserver program for this one zone,
> or the code to handle this has to be incorporated into cvsup itself,
> so that you distribute the logic and CPU processing time to all the
> clients.

There are commecial nameservers which decide upon bgp path length but
it'll cost some big $$$.

--
Andre