Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 15:42:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Any users of matcd(4), mcd(4), or scd(4)?

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, John Baldwin wrote:
> Are there any users who use the matcd(4), mcd(4) or scd(4) drivers?
> These drivers are for rather old non-standard CD-ROM controllers
> most of which only support 1x speeds. :)  There are several changes
> being made to the kernel API's used by device drivers in -current.
> Unless we can find some people who actually use these devices and
> can test patches for these drivers we will have to drop support for
> them.  So, is anyone out there still using this old hardware?  Note
> that if support for these ancient devices was dropped, it wouldn't
> be dropped until 5.0.  4.x. would continue to support these devices
> forever.

I had an mcd(4) 1x drive with its own custom controller.  It was
decommissioned 4 years ago.  If I wanted to use a CD drive with that 486,
I'd install an ISA ata card that could talk to a modern ATAPI
drive.  Can you foresee any problems with that approach?  If not, I have
no problem seeing mcd(4) go away.

Sniff.  I used that drive and floppies to install 2.0, which paniced as
soon as I tried pppd.  Ok, glad those days are over.  Of course, we still
have "stray irq 7" hanging around.  That one is going to be 10 years old
soon.  ;-)

-Nate