Date:      Sat, 4 Jun 2011 23:11:02 -0400
From:      Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Partitioning with gpart or old style slices?

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> There's a sample in the second half of my disk setup article:
>
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html

Looks good.  I have a few critiques:

1) Linux and FreeBSD do not have alignment requirements, as far as I
know.  So you may want to include a note about this when you say
"Create partition for /. It should start at the 1M boundary for
alignment on 4K sector drives, or 2048 blocks:"  This would only be
necessary for dual-boot with an OS that has alignment requirements
such as windows.  This would essentially be the difference between the
two old methods of dedicated and not.

2) Perhaps add a note about softupdates (-U) for partitions other than
/ when you describe the newfs steps.

3) I like to put /root in its own partition on the off chance that it
fills up.  That way it's in a little sandbox and does not fill /.  But
this is personal preference, I guess.

I think your article would be a good place to start for making an
updated section in the handbook.