Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2014 16:39:13 -0500
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        desktop@freebsd.org, "freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org" <mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Story of a laptop user

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
> So:
>
> * iwn ; yeah, its crap. nothing I can do about that.

:(

> * volume controls - we need to teach the acpi_ibm and/or keyboard
> driver about them. For example, they plain do nothingon the X230 I
> have. The T60 - it adjusts the global mixer. The T400 - it adjusts the
> current app volume (eg, when in vlc it adjusts vlc.) It isn't
> consistent or useful.

Agreed.

> * the brightness keys - is this occuring because you have acpi_ibm
> loaded? I have a feeling the root problem there is again to do with
> the ACPI DSDT and acpi_ibm / acpi_video adjusting the wrong bits. My
> T400 suffers the same.

acpi_video is required but acpi_ibm is not.  This creates
hw.acpi.video.lcd0.brightness which change.  However there is no
visible change on the screen.

> Can you install the acpi_call package and
> search the archives for the posts that say what to do?

I've been though this before.  None of the proposed commands do anything useful.

> * .. and when you create the wiki page for your laptop,

Any proposed format or data? An unstructured copy and paste of my
email isn't that useful.

I've posted this before: http://freebsd.org/~eadler/files/acpi.txt.gz

This request is new: http://freebsd.org/~eadler/files/acpi.txt.gz

--