Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:52:21 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jos Chrispijn <jos@webrz.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Symbolic link

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:05:43 +0200, Jos Chrispijn <jos@webrz.net> wrote:
> I have this application that only works with local filedirectories.
> Is it possible to make a symbolic link to a URL (internet location with
> the files I want to display/open) so that I can fake location as being
> local?

You could create a kind of automated workaound that first downloads
the files from a location on the Internet (e. g. with wget or ftp)
and then uploads them again if / after they've been changed.

As far as I know, there's no way to, say,

	% ln -s http;//some.kind.of.server.org/home/foo/furz.txt local.txt

To mount a distant file system, tools like NFS or fuse can be used.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0