Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:12:30 -0800
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        Kris Maglione <bsdaemon@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ath: a few questions

Kris Maglione wrote:
> Sam Leffler wrote:

>> You've provided zero useful information so I've been ignoring your
>> winging.  Regardless you are comparing apples and oranges.  The NDIS
>> driver supports several hardware features that the open source driver
>> does not.  At least one of those, XR mode, can be a significant factor
>> in the extended range performance you see.  The other critical factor
>> is that the NDIS driver has an excellent transmit rate control
>> algorithm while the onoe rate control code is little more than a
>> noop.  I've solicited better algorithms for almost 3 years but noone's
>> stepped up. I cannot do one because I am familiar with several
>> proprietary algorithms and so "tainted".
>

> Sorry, I haven't provided any useful information, because I don't know
> what information to provide.

I don't recall seeing os version, chip id info, hal version, or any
relevant basic config info (hint dmesg has useful bits).  Past that look
in /usr/src/tools/tools/ath for the athstats program.  It is what I
mostly use in understanding what's going on when problems crop up.

I'm pretty sure this question has been answered numerous times on the
mailing lists so checking back postings is a good idea.

	Sam