Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:34:52 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with .so numbering on FreeBSD in contrast to Linux

Quoting Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> (from Sat, 21 Feb 2009 =20
11:12:51 +0100):

> Hi,
>
> it looks like the problem is indeed in ltmain.sh
> of my source packages. The decisive code piece
> is not the one from my last mail but this
>
>         freebsd-elf)
>           major=3D".$current"
>           versuffix=3D".$current";
>           ;;
>
> which i replaced by this (learned from case linux)
>
>         freebsd-elf)
>           major=3D.`expr $current - $age`
>           versuffix=3D"$major.$age"
>           ;;
>
> Input parameters are: current=3D31, age=3D27, revision=3D0.
> So this now leads to installation of
>   libburn.so.4.27
> which i believe complies to policies-shlib.html.

I think this is a little bit outdated. We only have one number after =20
the .so since a long time. All libs in /lib and /usr/lib are .so.X and =20
for 3rd party applications most are .so.X (those which aren't are a =20
sign of bugs in the ports collection). On one of my systems 1.2% are =20
not .so.X:

---snip---
% ls -1 | grep .so. | wc -l
      539
% ls -1 | grep .so. | egrep '\.so\.[0-9]\.[0-9]' | wc -l
       7
---snip---

> Next questions:
>
> Is  freebsd-aout  of any importance nowadays ?

No. Those FreeBSD versions which used a.out instead of ELF are not =20
supported anymore since a very very long time. We still are able to =20
load a.out stuff in the current releases, but the entire compiler =20
toolchain is using ELF by default. You have to make some effort to =20
generate a.out stuff.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Bender: "Aw, I think I got whiplash."
Leela: "You can't have whiplash, you don't have a neck."
Bender: "I meant ass whiplash."

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137