Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2007 10:08:02 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer2@gwdg.de>
To:        Ingeborg Hellemo <Ingeborg.Hellemo@cc.uit.no>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Qlogic FC-card can't find disk on SATAbeast

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Ingeborg Hellemo wrote:

> (This SAN-stuff is one of my weak subjects, so please excuse me if I use the
> wrong terms. If there is a better list to ask this question, please tell me.)
>

> HW: ProLiant DL380 G4
> OS: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p7
> FC-card:
> isp0: <Qlogic ISP 2312 PCI FC-AL Adapter> port 0x5000-0x50ff mem
> 0xfdff0000-0xfdff0fff irq 97 at device 1.0 on pci10
>
> ~/#kldstat
> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
> 1    9 0xc0400000 7261f4   kernel
> 2    1 0xc0b27000 93040    ispfw.ko
> 3    1 0xc0bbb000 59f20    acpi.ko
> 4    1 0xc6dea000 16000    linux.ko
>

> I am trying to access a disk-device on a SATABeast, but no success:
>
> ~/#camcontrol rescan all
> Re-scan of bus 0 was successful
> Re-scan of bus 1 was successful
> Re-scan of bus 2 was successful
> Re-scan of bus 3 was successful
>
> ~/#camcontrol devlist -v
> scbus0 on ciss0 bus 0:
> <COMPAQ RAID 1  VOLUME OK>         at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
> scbus1 on ciss0 bus 32:
> scbus2 on ciss0 bus 33:
> scbus3 on isp0 bus 0:
> <  >                               at scbus3 target -1 lun -1 ()
> scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
> <  >                               at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)
>

> If we try to connect the fibre to our HP EVA SAN the disk shows up after a
> 'rescan all' which makes me believe that I have not done any major screw-ups
> in configuring the card.
>
> I can see the device and LUN-number if I enter the cards BIOS, but not from
> FreeBSD. We have tried changing disk-size and LUN-number on the Beast.
>

> Any ideas?

In such a case I'd try to boot the system using Knoppix or any other Linux
system. Maybe this will give you some additional diagnostics which helps
to make progress with FreeBSD. On the other hand, if Linux doesn't see the
disk too, you'd have to look closer to your hardware.

Best regards

Konrad Heuer
GWDG, Am Fassberg, 37077 Goettingen, Germany, kheuer2@gwdg.de