Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 18:27:24 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        gunnut@2ainfo.it, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems

On 4/12/00, 2:38:43 PM, Filippo Moretti <gunnut@2ainfo.it> wrote
regarding Problems:

> ----------------------------------
> E-Mail: Filippo Moretti <gunnut@2ainfo.it>
> Date: 12-Apr-00
> Time: 15:18:54

> This message was sent by XFMail
> ----------------------------------
> Dear Sir,
>           I am in 4.0-STABLE  from 4.0-RELEASE on intel 266 PII with
128 Mb and
> I have the following problems:
> 1-I cannot mount my IDE-ATAPI cdrom /dev/acd0c
> mount /mnt/cdrom  unknown special file or file system
> mount /dev/acd0c /mnt/cdrom     incorrect superblock
> 2-I can connect to my ISP and in fact I upgrade my system and ports
> via make update.However both netscape Navigator 4.7 and Xfmail 1.4.0
> exit with error and they cannot reach url and mail server respectively=

> while the connection is on.
> Both applications have been built from ports and work fine.
> I will appreciate any help you might provide
> sincerely
> Filippo

Dear Mr Moretti,

please pardon my speaking ... English here :-)

You might want to read the mount(8) man page as well as the
mount_cd9660(8) man page.

Have you tried "mount /cdrom" ? :-O
In order for this to work, you should properly edit your /etc/fstab,
and type such a line as "/dev/acd0c             /cdrom          cd9660
 ro,noauto       0       0".

Needless to say, you should also read fstab(5) as well as other
mount-related man pages (e.g. mount_ext2fs) if you are interested in
mounting all sorts of filesystems :-)

Finally, you might find it interesting to read amd(8) (automatically
mount filesystems) and have a look at the archives. This issue has
been debated.

Yours sincerely,
Salvo Bartolotta

P.S. "Dear Sir" should be followed by "Yours faithfully" at the end of
a letter.