Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2019 23:19:46 +0100
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r350550 - head/share/mk

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO

On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 02:08:14PM -0700, Xin LI wrote:

Hi,

>I haven't dig deep on this topic, but it seems that parsing 'svn info'
>output would solve it (by using "Last Changed Rev:" value).
>
>This issue do not exist on git.

svn info will not return the revision of the running system. This is my
point. With reproductible build turned on, there is no way as far as I'm aw=
are
of getting the revision of the sources the system was built from, and
that bit of info can be very useful diagnosing/fixing and updating.

It will return the revision of what the source directory was last updated t=
o.
That will probably be later than the running system. It won't return
anything at all of course if the sources are no longer there.

I'll try explaining another way. Let's say I'm relatively new to freebsd
and I read up on downloading a 12-stable-snapshot and follow stable.
Some issue with the base system happens. I email to stable@ and they ask
what I'm running. I say, (because reproductible build defaults to "on" in
this example) 12-stable. It's not really helpful to those wanting to
assist. What benefit is had by losing this information by default?

--=20
J.

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO--