Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 12:51:43 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Vinum] Stupid benchmark: newfsstone

On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 08:59:38PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Saturday, 14 November 1998 at  9:49:37 +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 10:41:05AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >> I'll tell you what: anybody who wants, go and look at the request
> >> building code in /usr/src/lkm/vinum/request.c and rebuild it to
> >> perform the "aggregation" optimizations that Bernd wants, and I'll
> >> put it into the code.
> >
> > I don't "want" it - I'm just expecting a perdormance icnrease in a special
> > and unusal case.
> > There are some thing that should be more usefull to implement at this moment
> > than some performance things:
> > - fsck -p can't find the rvol
>
> Somewhere round here we're running into Vinum testing.  But OK.  What
> problems did you have?
>
> # fsck -p /dev/vinum/rsrc
> /dev/vinum/rsrc: clean, 365642 free (874 frags, 45596 blocks, 0.2% fragmentation)
> # fsck -p /dev/vinum/robj
> /dev/vinum/robj: clean, 152758 free (6814 frags, 18243 blocks, 1.7% fragmentation)
>
> > - I couldn't find any way to dump a vinum volume - maybe the same reason.
>
> I don't use dump.  I'd like to hear the problems you had.
Mmmm - as I can see even /dev/vinum/rvol/volname works now.
Don't know exactly what happened last time.

Only dumping with an fstabentry pointing to /dev/vinum/vol/volname
won't work when dumping with a mount-point given.
Guess that's why solaris has an entry for character and block device
in /etc/vfstab.

> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

  B.Walter