Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2018 21:20:12 +0100
From:      Oleg Cherkasov <o1e9.cherkasov@yandex.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Document/collaboration server advise needed

On 22. jan. 2018 21:52, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Three groups of scientists need to write documents collaboratively. They
> are going to use MS PowerPoint, Word, also store PDF files. They want to
> be able to add external people from other groups they collaborate with
> and give them access to some areas or "projects". In other words, they
> want some collaborative work environment, mostly to work on documents.
>
> In the past scientists were using TeX, and one of version control
> systems (CVS, subversion,...). And all was great, as TeX files (pretty
> much like programs software developers write) are ASCII text files, and
> diff of two version is rather small...

If users are familiar with LaTeX/TeX then definitely try
http://OverLeaf.com service.  For decent size of the documents it is
free and if you need some extra project security then service has almost
everything you need in paid version.  I have very positive experience
with it so really recommend it to try.  I am not sure if they have an
open source version you may install in your premises but you may ask for it.

Cheers,
Oleg