Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:18:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        witr@rwwa.com (Robert Withrow)
Cc:        mvh@netcom.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'Code Freeze'

> My advice, which I'm sure everyone will ignore, is for Jordan and
> friends to 'fess up and admit that the current state of "stable" isn't
> stable enough for cutting a CD release, re-freeze now and only allow
> bug fixes for the next 30-45 days (including fixes for the slice
> stuff) and *then* cut the release.  I'm pretty sure everyone *buying*
> the CD's would rather a delay than [another] less-than-completely-stable
> release.

I agree with moving the release date, and considering this the beginning
of the freeze.

> I've been trying to propogate a CD release within my company for the last
> 1.5 years, and so far every release requires patches and hacks to get it
> to work correctly.  I understand that it is free software, but it
> seems to me, as it seems to the above author, that if the release were
> just cut 1 month earlier or later it would be a much better story.

What we've done is to cut our own CDs on our burner, after allowing the
dust to settle.  Ours read 2.2.6-Anasazi (or whatever is appropriate).
The Anasazi means approximately, "Same as release, but with bug fixes."

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)                 Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  larson1@home.com