Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 06:50:18 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@picus.com>
To:        "Mark Blackman" <tmb@sophos.com>, "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Stephen McKay" <mckay@thehub.com.au>, "Tim Vanderhoek" <hoek@FreeBSD.org>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Punctuation conventions (was: cvs commit: src/games/fortune/datfiles fortunes)

Ok, so we're agreed.  Two spaces at the end of a sentence is what we're
taught in the US, UK, and AU.  Any one from another English speaking
country care to share the rules from their freshman keyboarding (typing)
class?

Just a wild guess here, but I think the rule stems from the laziness of
some people to abbr. certain words.  You see, abbreviations also require a
period, but if they're not at the end of a sentence, it's noted from the
single space following.  This is also the case in Mr., Mrs., and Ms.
Though one wonders why an abbreviation at the end of a sentence doesn't
get two periods followed by two spaces.  This is certainly an odd feature
(bug?) in our language.

The fact that some (most?) people don't use two spaces at the end of a
sentence is probably due to ignorance, indifference, or laziness.  I for
one, check for those two spaces as part of the proof reading process
(though I'm not always diligent about proof reading).  It gets really
irritating when doing web pages in a WYSIWYG editor, as most are fond of
putting a '&nbsp;' in the source, which makes for very ugly HTML.

Another spot where these rules bug the hell out of me, is when typing an
address in Word.  I was taught in high school that there are two spaces
between the state and zip code (i.e. 'City, ST  12345').  Most frustrating
to see that red wavy line telling me I have an error when I know that I
don't.

--
  Troy Settle
  Network Analyst