Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:37:49 +0000
From:      Rob <drifter@stratos.net>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (removed by request)

On Wed, Apr 14, 1999 at 11:04:16PM -0400, W Gerald Hicks wrote:
> > RAID would be nice, but how about support for older Adaptec controllers?
> > I've watched several people go to Linux in the past WEEK because FreeBSD
> > has dropped support for this perfectly good older hardware.
>
> I suppose that you are referring to the AIC6360 controllers?  They
> were an unfortunate casualty of the CAM progress and there is some
> ongoing work towards getting them revived.  The older driver seems
> to have a few problems anyway, so the loss doesn't seem that great
> to me (and I *really* need that driver).
>
> No way _I'm_ switching to Linux because of this relatively minor
> inconvenience.  We'll just use 2.2.8-STABLE on those boxes for
> now -- *shrug*

     Maybe more than a "minor" inconvenience.  I have had the same
problem (a perfectly good AHA1520B) and I wanted to upgrade to 3.1 to
keep up with the latest -RELEASE.
     Since FreeBSD is, well free, I kept my whining to a minimum.
But I did seriously consider switching to Linux myself, but fortunately
I got a hold of a 3.1 GB IDE hard disk that I use for 3.1.  I just can't
access my 2.1 GB SCSI hard drive, ZIP drive, or tape with 3.1.
     I haven't a chance in hell in understanding enough about hardware or
programming to try to write my own driver.  In any case, like I said,
it is free so I'm not complaining.  I just don't personally care for
the self-righteous "This hardware SUX, so screw it!" (and damn the
fact that others invested money into it) attitude that I sometimes see
from some people.