Date:      Tue, 08 Jul 2003 09:40:00 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
Cc:        fcash@sd73.bc.ca
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4-REL to FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE upgrade problem.

> Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:07:39 -0500
> From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> At 02:58 PM 7/7/2003 -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> >
> > > My manpage must be outdated or just wrong then:
> >
> > > # man mergemaster | grep -- -p
> > >       the -p option to rebuild your password databases and recreate
> >
> >Read the begining of that sentence.  I'll bet it is talking about
> >pwd_mkdb(8) and not mergemaster.
>
> Well crap. Still, my version doesn't mention anything about "Pre-buildworld
> mode" so the pie on my face is at least tasty.
>
> >Since you have already updated your source tree, read
> >/usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster/mergemaster.8  That is the man page for
> >/usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster/mergemaster.sh  That will explain
> >everything, including when to run it using the -p parameter.  That
> >would be pre-buildworld.
>
> Will do.
>
> > > Notice that there is no mention of mergemaster until step 6.
> >
> >The Makefile reads the same on my 4.8 system.  However, that should
> >probably be updated, as every time I've seen a mention of mergemaster
> >-p on any of the mailing lists, it has always occured before the
> >buildworld.  (And that's the advice I've been following since the -p
> >parameter was introduced.)
>
> Yes, updating the docs would be very helpful in situations.. oh, I don't
> know.. like this one.

If you look at the source code (or were here when the -p option was
added to mergemaster, you would see that 'mergemaster -p' really just
runs mergemaster on a couple of files which could block installworld
from working if not already updated. At this time (in either STABLE or
CURRENT) it makes absolutely no difference whether it is run before or
after build of the world and kernel. It must be run before
installworld, although it only makes a difference on limited occasions.
(4.4 to 4.8 would be such a case.)

FWIW, the only files currently merged when the -p option is present
are the group and password files, but this list is subject to change
if needed. It is intended to be run before buildworld so that other
files can be included down the road if they are needed. But, at this
time, running it before installworld is all that is required.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)