Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:48:12 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to people easily update ports with dependencies (such as galeon)?

--XWOWbaMNXpFDWE00

* Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com> [20010418 05:32]: writing on =
the subject 'How to people easily update ports with dependencies (such as g=
aleon)?'
Philip> Hi all -
Philip> 	I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a painless way to
Philip> update a port that has dependencies?
Philip>=20
Philip> In my case, I currently have galeon-0.10.2 which requires glib-1.2.=
10.  I
Philip> currently have glib-1.2.8.  The problem is I can remove my galeon p=
ort,
Philip> and install the new one, but installing the new one will install th=
e new
Philip> version of glib without removing the old one.
Philip>=20
Philip> is there an easy way to tell it to remove any old ports of new vers=
ions
Philip> it's installing?

Hi Philip,

Since you've come up with this, lemme give my own view on it. I realized th=
at other than a
direct dependancy that you can point (i.e. by going into /usr/ports/www/gal=
eon and doing
'make all-depends-list), you'll also find that there are cross dependancies=
 - that other
than galeon depending on glib, other ports might also depend on it too. My =
way of doing this
has been to 'feel nothing' and just update (via make install) and let new v=
ersions of
dependancies install and I've always assumed that by letting things install=
 on the default
location, they will always (overwrite???) the old files and as long as noth=
ing breaks, I
still feel nothing ;-)=20
If you always update your ports tree, via CVSUP or other means then you're =
able to see why I
take this contented position. Afterall, isn't the newer version much better=
...??? I don't
know a painless way, anyway and I am sorry i might not have quite given you=
 an answer but
I've never thought I should go and make all-depends-list, deinstall all dep=
endancies then
do make all install.....I've always assumed the relevant code will update t=
he old pieces
plus the binaries.

I'll be happy to hear what views others express on this so please cc me if =
you get any.

Thanks

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington Wananchi Online Ltd.,
wash@wananchi.com 1st Flr Loita Hse

Nasrudin walked into a shop one day, and the owner came forward to
serve him.  Nasrudin said, "First things first.  Did you see me walk
into your shop?"  "Of course."  "Have you ever seen me before?"
"Never."  "Then how do you know it was me?"

--XWOWbaMNXpFDWE00

--XWOWbaMNXpFDWE00--