Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2003 23:30:31 +0200
From:      "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Accurate time without a network connection?

In the past I simply watched the time on the server that was to serve as my
time reference, noted the drift over a few days, then wrote a very simple
daemon that periodically skewed the time to compensate for the drift.  I was
surprised at how easy it was to get the server to stay within 1 second of
the correct time for periods of several days with this simple and crude
adjustment.  The PC clock was way off (more than six seconds a day), but it
was fairly consistently so, so with a bit of tweaking I managed to keep it
close to the correct time.

I was still happy to get the network connection back up, though.

I did look at a few radio-controlled clocks (the GPS ones were not an
option, as I have no place to put the antenna), but since I could buy
another server for the price of the cheapest among them, they were not
really a realistic option.