Date:      Sun, 7 Jun 2020 20:53:05 -0400
From:      Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
To:        Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
Subject:   Re: Minimal skills
References:  <mailman.5421.1591424554.4503.freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> <a7f9a8b5-29b1-c083-e82d-92192c2f3c9e@defert.com> <CAGBxaX=B3ieSMnFyQ__NyQ=OVoz53c06RVsa-jap6GR6r0Y7Ew@mail.gmail.com> <C49F5FB7-37F5-4A49-ADA2-16490089CFDC@kicp.uchicago.edu> <CAGBxaXmVAMv12B09XbCGPw6=NBXiyzKOz2w9j1tut-x9t8NEQg@mail.gmail.com> <CAEC73915Obkz2aNme3LZu6%2BJF3FLQER813-8%2BLFg9PKMMet3Lg@mail.gmail.com> <CAGBxaX=A0FkFW35VK6t8YNxHVVT0XvfCBeRMBN1BnqojwVv7Fw@mail.gmail.com> <B7C2E20B-408E-4AEB-B3E1-785981995C19@kicp.uchicago.edu>

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 8:26 PM Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> > On Jun 7, 2020, at 1:59 PM, Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu

> >> developer's

> >> not
V,
> >> low

> Oracle

> >> for
> >> language
> >> tools
> >> completely
> >> GNU.
> >>>
> >> You can use java 8 for your own purposes but Oracle's license
> >> agreement on their website clearly states that only up until Java 7 is
> >> it truly free. :-( This change occurred several years ago now.
> >>
> >> I don't have time to get the citation to support Valeri's assertion,
> >> but it is true.
> >>

> > Then Wikipedia MUST be wrong?  A direct quote from there article on
> OpenJDK
> > (1st paragraph): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenJDK
> >
> > "OpenJDK (Open Java Development Kit) is a free and open-source
> > implementation of the Java Platform, Standard Edition (Java SE).[1] It =
is
> > the result of an effort Sun Microsystems began in 2006. The
> implementation
> > is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL) version 2
> with a
> > linking exception. Were it not for the GPL linking exception, component=
> > that linked to the Java class library would be subject to the terms of
> the
> > GPL license. OpenJDK is the official reference implementation of Java S=
> > since version 7.[2][3][4]"
> >
> > And from the the OpenJDK web site itself:
> >
> > "Will Oracle change the OpenJDK licensing model?
> >
> > No. The OpenJDK Community continues to thrive with contributions from
> > Oracle, as well as other companies, researchers, and individuals, and t=
he
> > GPL-based licensing model is one large part of this success. Oracle has
> no
> > plans to change it."  https://openjdk.java.net/faq/
> >
> > As to the language spec license and jvm spec license:
> >
> > https://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se14/html/spec-license.html
> > (Apache derived license due to needing the patent infringement clause).
> > [There are no patents that pertain to Java per se]
> >

> This is just general thought not addressed to anyone in particular.
>
> For the moment it indeed is true that openjdk is free. While Sun
> Microsystems was behind Java I was quite certain there will be no changes
> neither for end user use of Java, not for openjdk. Sun Microsystem did ha=
ve
> that reputation (at least, in my book). Oracle has different reputation
> (again, in my book). And charging end users of java applications was not =
> surprise for me. I am not saying openjdk will have the same faith, but if
> that happens, it will not come as a surprise for me.

So by your logic someone should not learn C/C++ because there are
commercial applications written in them like Windows and MS Office!?!?

> Now, it is everybody=E2=80=99s own judgement people should rely on in est=
imate of
> how useful their skills in programming in Java may be in some future to
> come. They still may be valuable even if you shift your field out of open
> source domain, so do your own thinking.

According to IEEE's annual survey of what languages are used the most (all
domains/combined totals) [
https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-top-programming-languages-=
2019}
Java is #2 and has been #1 or #2 for more than 10 years.   It beats out
everything but Python.  Also a very quick look at ports shows 121 ports in
the Java category (there are Java based ports not even listed in there like
www/tomcat [from apache.org]) so it is most certainly used on open-source
projects!

Before saying something you might want to take your own advice and do your
own thinking based on facts instead of unfounded gut reactions.