Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:02:33 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dominic Baines <dombaines@mmbq.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Erik de Zeeuw <erik@usishealth.com>, Keith Wong <keith@1connect.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: abit bp6 hpt66 udma support

On Tuesday, 29 August 2000 at 15:39:49 +0000, Dominic Baines wrote:

> Is it possible to install 4.0 (came with Greg Lehey's book The
> complete FreeBSD) onto the ABit BP6 MB with HPT66 UDMA ?
>
> I have the following configuration:
>
> Dual Celeron 466 (mendocino)
> 3x128MB SDRAM 100Mhz
> 4 IBM 20GB UDMA HDD (On IDE3 and IDE4)
> 2 24xCDROM on IDE1
> 1 LS120 on IDE2
> 1 Zip on IDE2

Yes.  I have almost exactly this configuration.

> I can't seem to find how to get the IDE3 (first UDMA66 hard drive)
> to be recognised for install.

I suspect that the GENERIC kernel doesn't recognize the other two IDE
controllers.  You'll have to build one that does.  I'd suggest:

1.  Move the disk on ata3 (IDE4) to ata0 (IDE1).
2.  Install FreeBSD there.
3.  Build a kernel which knows the other two controllers.  Add the
    following lines to the configuration file:

    device	ata2
    device	ata3

4.  Boot the new kernel.  It should recognize the new disks.
5.  Configure ad4 (on ata2).  Copy the installed system to it.
6.  Move the disk from ata0 to ata3.

I'll see if we can't get the GENERIC kernel fixed so that you don't
need to do this.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.