Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 2002 18:04:29 +0200
From:      Morten Grunnet Buhl <vchit-list@deter.dk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   advise on gateway-setup

Hey all,
I have been using FreeBSD as desktop and server for over two years now.
However, my knowledge on buying hardware to and setting up a gateway is
very limited. Actually I have only toyed around with this in the
security and comfort of my own home.

Ok. After this little self promo its time for my questions.
The building I live in has 200+ apartments which in near future will
share an (I hope) powerful internet connection. Now I was put in-charge
of selecting the equipment to preform firewalling and gateway.
What I like it to do is firewalling and some sort of natted intranet
with bandwidth management. My question is. How powerful should the
gateway/firewall be? I am thinking about CPU and RAM and hardware en
general. Also I would be glad to get pointers on where to read for
setting up this..ofcause I will start whit the handbook right about here

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking.html
and then go to google

But if anybody has seen other documents/articles/manpages I should read
please point me to em, this could really safe me some time, thanks.
--
DetEr.dk - Rules are made to control the fun.