Date:      Sun, 07 Aug 2005 10:30:47 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/portsnap vs. /var/db/portsnap

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <42F63113.5020600@freebsd.org>
>             Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org> writes:
> : Huh?  Isn't the ports tree BSD-licensed?
>
> I keep seeing snapshots and build.  I still don't know if this
> distributes sources or binaries.  My concern was if it distributed
> binaries.

Portsnap distributes the ports tree.  The word "build" in the context
of portsnap refers to the process of taking the ports tree, generating
"raw" describes files (from which INDEX files are later "cooked" at
the client side), and squishing everything into the various-sized boxes
which constitute the format in which portsnap distributes everything.

Colin Percival