Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 1999 10:37:21 -0700
From:      "Addr.com Web Hosting" <admin@addr.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fequent panics in FreeBSD 3.3-RC

Hi,

I last night I have upgraded a system to the latest stable, and have
already received two of these panics:

uname -a reads
FreeBSD addr3.addr.com 3.3-RC FreeBSD 3.3-RC #0: Tue Sep  7 21:57:07 GMT 1999
   root@addr3.addr.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/ADDRKERN  i386

the panic reads:
mp_lock = 01000002; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 01000000
fault virtual address   = 0xc4e7f08c
fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc025f47a
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xd2ed2f0c
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xd2ed2f1c
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 12498 (httpd)
interrupt mask          = net tty bio cam  <- SMP: XXX
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
mp_lock = 01000002; cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 01000000
boot() called on cpu#1

nm /kernel for that area shows:

c025f314 T pmap_page_exists
c025f30c T pmap_pageable
c025f3a4 T pmap_remove_pages
c025f4e0 t pmap_testbit

The server is a dual PentiumIII-450 with 512 MB of ram and DPT raid
controller. Max users is set at 256 (I don't know about this version, but
on previous versions setting it higher caused constant panics). It usually
runs at load average of about 2, serving apache/sendmail/telnet/ftpd/ipop3d
as well as a little bit of NFS data for local updates and a completely idle
NFS client.
I am unable to trace the panic to any particular event, the system can run
high load with no problems and one of the panics was in the evening when
the system was running at only 0.5 load average.
If you need any more info I would be glad to provide it. Any help regarding
this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Anthony Bourov