Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:23:14 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: History Search in tcsh?

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 10:53:41AM -0500, Morse, Richard E. wrote:
> Well, it really stands for "Meta-P".  You might also try Alt-P, just to see
> if that works.  Basically, you would know this by reading the Emacs docs,
> where this convention is most expressed nowadays (it may even have been
> created for Emacs, but I don't know enough of ancient history...)

I think "M" is used fairly widely to mean "meta", which usually means
<esc>, but not always. It is supposed to be the "lead in" character that
gives special significance to the character that follows it.

It would probably be nice if this was explained in the Emacs docs, since
as the poor guy who started the thread pointed out, you will go around
the twist until you know this !

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>