Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 02:20:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux in PC Magazine

I don't recall this being mentioned here before, but if it has, my
apologies--or my apologies if what I posted Saturday got through.
I don't think it did.

In any case PC Magazine ran a two-part article in the July 1997 and
August 1997 issues on Linux--

"Leaning Toward Linux:  Powerful, robust and free, Linus is worth
investigating, especially if you plan to set up an Internet domain."

The July 1997 article is available on-line at http://www.pcmag.com/

The August 1997 article (p. 311 ff.), "Getting the Most Out of Linux:
Linux isn't easy, but its power and customizability [is that in the OECD?}
make it worth the effort," emphasizes the X-Window system.

These articles emphasize a certain amount of difficulty in installation
and configuration, but great rewards....neither gives any hint that
Linux is not the only free un*x that runs on a pc.

I consider this a breakthrough ("nerdware goes mainstream"?) because
PC Magazine is the pre-eminant publication in its class with heaps
of advertising and resources to figure out what its readers want to
read about.  They've done articles on OS/2 and mentioned the role of
unix servers in this-and-that, but this seems a first to me:  run it
on your pc.  I don't recall any articles on software to make your pc
run multiple operating systems or anything like that.

They publish a page or two of letters in every issue--usually 60-120
words--that (always in standard English) usually compliment the
magazine/author on a great, useful article, mention the job classification
(not the company) of the letter writer and how the article was of interest
to him/her, and provide some additional useful information for readers--a
correction, a place where something may be downloaded, whatever.

In any case I think a response of some enthusiasm might encourge PC
Magazine to do more of this sort of thing--they do know it's not all
Wintel.....

You can send an e-mail message to pcmag@zd.com, or a fax to
212-503-5255, or snail to PC Magazine, One Park Avenue, New York,
N.Y. 10016-5802.  West Coast FAX to 415/513/800.

The author of the articles is Neil Randall, a "frequent contributor
to PC Magazine  and the author of The Soul of the Internet (ITCP)
and coauthor of Special Edition Using Microsoft FrontPage97(Que).
e-mail = nrandall@watarts.uwaterloo.ca"  Maybe he should get a free
set of cdroms for him to try....

	Annelise