Date:      Mon, 31 May 2010 22:14:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        yohanes@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: at91sam9g20

In message: <AANLkTimt7jdRO-K6uT09RwCrnvREmhy0-R8wBLtJpk32@mail.gmail.com>
            Yohanes Nugroho <yohanes@gmail.com> writes:
: I have started AT91SAM9G20 FreeBSD-arm port several months ago with
: the Hot-e (HL201 donated by John Nicholls). It mostly works now, but
: the code organization is still very messy (I added many #ifdefs), I
: need advice on this.
:
: What works: I can boot to single/multi user mode using USB disk, and
: networking (it works well, 100 mbps). What doesn't work yet: NAND,
: Audio, Video (John said, his team is working on this, so I am not
: touching this).
:
: I have few questions:
:
: - What is the best way to merge AT91RM9200 code with AT91SAM9G20, some
: code. I know there are several people that started to work on other
: Atmel Chips, but the code never gets commited, for example:
:
: http://bsdimp.blogspot.com/2007/03/followup-atmel-at91-family-work.html
: http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-arm&m=123783989612142&w=2

Yes.  There's a lot of ideas, but I never had time to implement them.
The best part would be to convert the atmel port to use FDT and that
would nicely solve most of the problems.

: it has been talked about:
:
: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2009-May/001742.html
: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2009-May/001743.html
:
: But Sylvestre Gallon didn't continue his work (and didn't reply my
: email), so should I just try to implement what Warner Losh suggested?
: I will need someone with RM9200 board to help me test if my
: refactoring still works on the RM9200 board (or someone care to donate
: one to me?).

I can try the board I have...

: - From the state of the freebsd NAND http://wiki.freebsd.org/NAND, if
: I want to write the NAND driver, I should go with FreeBSD NAND Flash
: Framework (http://p4db.freebsd.org/branchView.cgi?BRANCH=nand2) right?
: (I hope the code is quite stable now).

Yes.  None of my gear has NAND hardware though.  Just NOR memory.

: - I've got the SPI code to work, and modify the hardcoded value in
: at45d  for the dataflash. I can get the JEDEC ID and status. But how
: do i test reading from the /dev/flash/spi0 from userspace?

dd if=/dev/flash/spi0 bs=block-size

: In case anyone wants to have a look at my (still) messy code or wants
: to play around with it:
:
: - Audio: I don't have a clue where to start writing the device driver
: for this. Can anyone points me to some documents/source code to study?
:
: http://gitorious.org/freebsd-arm

I wish I had the time to review this, but I'm somewhat swamped for the
next few weeks....

Warner