Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 18:41:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lib/libF77 and lib/libI77

In reply:
> > yes jordan, people still do use fortran...  please keep them...
>
> You haven't answered my question at all.  I've no doubt that people
> still use fortran, that was not my question.  My question was *how
> precisely are these libraries used* by fortran programmers and, if
> they're used, why aren't they in the standard build order?
>
> If I can't find satisfactory answers to those questions then those
> libraries are history, sorry.
>
> 					Jordan

They are the libs REQUIRED for f77/f2c to work, and i also believe
that g77 relies on them...

all standard fortran functions are in them, and misc stuff for the
running of the compiled code from the above mentioned translators.

Why they are not in the standard build order, I'm at a loss, but if
you lose these libs, then you lose fortran...

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or