Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 09:53:18 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libqt-1.39 snap: ld: -L differences between Linux and FreeBSD ???

[I have eliminated the cross post to -ports, since this is really
about the linker, and cross-posting on the mailing lists is
discouraged.]

In article <19980410141324.56043@klemm.gtn.com>,
Andreas Klemm  <andreas@klemm.gtn.com> wrote:

> Have difficulties compiling the newest libqt snapshot.
> The seem to have a ld(1), that is able to get a list of
> directories (-L flags) first, which is valid for every
> further -l command option ...

That's what our ld does, too.

> cd t1; gmake
> gmake[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/andreas/src/freefall/myports/work/qt/work/qt-1.39-19980406/tutorial/t1'
> gcc -L/home/andreas/src/freefall/myports/work/qt/work/qt-1.39-19980406/lib
> -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -o t1 main.o  -lqt -lX11
> ld: -lqt: no match
>
> Error is, the libqt isn't searched in
> 	/home/andreas/src/freefall/myports/work/qt/work/qt-1.39-19980406/lib

I am very skeptical that this is a ld bug.  It should work, and has
worked forever, if not longer. :-) There must be some other problem.
What is the filename of the qt library?  The linker will recognize
"libqt.a" or "libqt.so.m.n" where m and n are version numbers.

Are the permissions OK on the library?

If you think the library is really installed correctly and has a
valid name, then perhaps a ktrace on the ld command could shed some
light on the problem.

John