Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:00:05 GMT
From:      Pietro Cerutti <gahr@gahr.ch>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/118902: wrong signatures in d2i_RSAPublicKey man pages

The following reply was made to PR docs/118902; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Pietro Cerutti <gahr@gahr.ch>
To: "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
Cc: FreeBSD gnats submit <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:52:53 +0100

 Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
 > On 2007.12.20 21:30:34 +0100, Pietro Cerutti wrote:
 >
 >> the signatures for the following functions:
 >>
 >>  d2i_RSAPublicKey
 >>  d2i_RSA_PUBKEY
 >>  d2i_RSAPrivateKey
 >>  d2i_Netscape_RSA
 >>
 >> are wrong in our man pages.
 >
 > [...]
 >
 > The manual pages are actually generated from the upstream POD
 > documentation (openssl/doc/crypto/d2i_RSAPublicKey.pod) so the changes
 > need to be made to the POD files.  Otherwise they will simply vanish
 > after next import.

 Please look at [2] for a patch to the POD file.

 > Any chance you could submit the changes directly to the OpenSSL
 > project [1]?  Then we would get the fixes when the next version of
 > OpenSSL is imported.

 I've already CC'ed openssl-dev on the original PR submit.
 I will fill a bug report on their Request Tracker.

 > Does the source changes fix actual bugs or is it just style/warning?
 > If they don't fix real bugs I would prefer for them also to go via
 > OpenSSL to not divert from upstream more than needed.

 The last one in the .diff file adds const'ness to a variable
 declaration, which I find quite important.
 The other ones simply remove useless casts.

 [2] http://www.gahr.ch/FreeBSD/patches/118902_d2i_RSAPublicKey.pod.diff

 --
 Pietro Cerutti

 PGP Public Key: