Date:      14 Feb 2006 17:46:35 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: core dump with dump command in single user mode

Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org> writes:

> On Feb 14, 2006, at 9:08 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> > Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org> writes:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Following the instructions here: http://www.unixcities.com/howto/
> >> index.html  I did a:
> >>
> > Those directions are a little outdated, but the problem is really just
> > that you didn't follow the directions closely enough:
> >
> >> dump -0f - /usr | restore -rf - /backup/usr
> >
> > should have been more like
> >
> > dump -0f - /usr | (cd /backup/usr;restore -xf - )
>

> Okay, I'm still getting:
>

> no space left in string table
> abort?
>
> If I say "n", it just core dumps....

Funny, I can't find that message in the source for dump at all.
The message, in -STABLE, is "Do you want to abort dump?".

I also can't seem to find the string table error message, but I may
just have failed to search the right library so far.

Are you running something before 5.2?

> Any other suggestions?

Plenty.  If there are no special files (fifos, etc.) on the disk, any
archiver will do it.  e.g., tar(1)

>                        Would using "dd" be a valid workaround to
> cloning my disk?

Sure.  If you really want a *clone* of the disk, it's a good option.
If having the same data files in the same filestructure would do, then
copying other attributes is overkill.

>                  My disk is over a 100 gigabytes, could this be what
> is causing dump to crap out?

Could be.  Check your memory statistics while you're doing it, and see
if you run out of VM.