Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 16:53:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net>
To:        Craig Beasland <craig@hotmix.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP filters

Craig Beasland writes:
 > Hi there,
 >
 > I have a question and a comment.
 >
 > Firstly, if I have a private class of IP numbers 192.168.168.1 - 255 and a
 > BSD box with one single public IP number on the ppp link.
 >
 > I run ppp -ddial -alias myisp.  This will permanently connect me to my ISP.
 > I do not have any filters in place, so can anyone get to my private IP'ed
 > network from the Internet, or because of the alias option and the private IP
 > numbers not being routed are they blocked.

AFAIK the alias-option in user-ppp is a 1:n-NAT. The internal hosts on
your 192.168.168-net are being translated to one IP (your public one)
and a port-number for each connection. That means, "yes, if there is
no firewall and no filters preventing it, anyone could get to your
internal network, by just trying your public IP and some port-
numbers". And "no, if there is no firewall and no filters installed
on your gateway, there is nothing that blocks traffic to your
internal network".

Malte.