Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 13:20:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, rivers@lakes.dignus.com
Subject:   Re: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf

J"org writes:

> As Thomas David Rivers wrote:
>
> >  I originally reported this problem in version 2.1.5 of FreeBSD, on
> > Aug. 16th, 1996.  The subject of that message was
> >
> >     "Nameserver and  'rlogin' in 2.1.5."
> >
> > it should be in the freebsd-hackers mail archives.  But, at that time
> > I thought it was a totally different problem and let it languish.
> > Since it didn't get resolved; particularly when my network situation
> > changed, I brought it back up...
>
> I still blame your setup.  As well as Sean, i can't reproduce the
> problem in a way where i could not resolve it using /etc/hosts.  One
> particular thing i've just noticed (by tracing the nameserver's
> requests, as mentioned in the other mail) was... but first the setup,
> so you can match it your situation:
>

> 	uncle.heep.sax.de     uriah.heep.sax.de
> 	      |                    |     |
> 	      +--------------------+     +--- . . . dialup link to
>                 Ethernet 192.168.0                  Internet
>

> rlogin from uriah to uncle worked well, and generated no DNS queries.
> rlogin back from uncle to uriah caused one query from uriah for
> `localhost.heep.sax.de', which was not resolved by placing this name
> in /etc/hosts on uriah.  I then found that i had to replace the line
>
> 127.1		localhost	localhost.heep.sax.de
>
> by
>
> 127.0.0.1	localhost	localhost.heep.sax.de
>
> and *bingo* it worked.  Now, we've been discussing this before...
>
> (Ok, now fix the broken setup again to use DNS for everything.  Heck,
> why should i rely on outdated /etc/hosts files? :-)
>
> --

 Oh yes, if you recall, I moaned about this some months ago...
(which prompted many pieces of mail say "127.1" isn't valid; but
historical, etc...)

 Anyway - at one time, that was my fix... but now it's not.
My host file has:

127.0.0.1 localhost.dignus.com. localhost.dignus.com localhost
10.0.0.1 ponds ponds.dignus.com  ponds.dignus.com.
10.0.0.3 lakes lakes.dignus.com lakes.dignus.com.

	- Dave Rivers -