Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:14:57 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'Code Freeze'

Let me just make one salient observation about this whole thread.

> My point -- and I think, Micheal's, is that a truly stable CD would
> raise FreeBSD far above the run of the mill Unices -- commercial or
> otherwise.

The stability, or otherwise, of the CD releases is *entirely* in the
hands of the user community.

Previous releases have experimented with protracted BETA and GAMMA
stages.  Others have adopted the "everything's quiet, lets do it Right
Now" attitude.

In every single case, people have only ever complained about problems
_after_ the release is cast in stone.  The temptation is very strong to
simply ignore this sort of complaint - the gate is closed, the horse
long gone.

If you want a stable release, then I cannot stress this strongly enough
- GET INVOLVED NOW!

The only people that you can blame for an unstable release are
yourselves.  We'd love to fix it, but we can't read your minds.