Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:06:30 -0400
From:      "Bucky Jordan" <bjordan@lumeta.com>
To:        "Jim C. Nasby" <decibel@decibel.org>, "David Magda" <dmagda@ee.ryerson.ca>
Cc:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Running large DB's on FreeBSD

Yes.. but how many disks (size/type/rpm?) are in that RAID 10? I'm
guessing it's an external enclosure...=20

Also, I know 10k rpm vs 15 doesn't make much of a difference for
sequential, but random IO seems to be significantly improved. Granted,
it's not as dramatic as adding more spindles...

I think the other point that may be relevant is the active section of
the data that you're accessing, and how good your design is in terms of
being able to access that directly. You could have a 1TB database, but
only have a portion that is frequently accessed/updated. In that case,
you might just need lots of storage, which is fairly inexpensive these
days. Also, your money might be better spent on more RAM- if you can fit
most of the active data in memory, that will also have a positive impact
on performance.

As pointed out, 10GB isn't really that much, especially when you can buy
relatively inexpensive servers with 8 or 16 GB of ram. Fitting over half
your db in memory is quit a luxury.

- Bucky