Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 00:36:34 EST
From:      AMDMCG@aol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HeLP!!! i am trying to install bsd linux and it wont install or give me err msg

--part1_31.11101228.27cde862_boundary

FreeBSD Support,
I am an experienced UNIX user but new to LINUX and BSD.
I am trying to install a new version I got at the LINUX Expo in NYC in Feb20=
01
onto an old 486/dx33 gateway PC with a Sony CDROM drive and 15" SVGA monitor
with 8 MB ram and 405 MB hard-drive.
The initial config installer sees all the devices except for my Sony CDROM=20
drive.
I get to the final point where I hit return and I tell it to reformat my=20
hard-drive
and install the LINUX Os from the CDROM drive and all I see is a blue screen=
=20
with
a white cursor in lower left corner. If I hit the num_lock key I get to a DO=
S=20
prompt
screen that says the following: =A0... it spits out a line a second and it r=
uns=20
off the monitor and never changes or stops ... infinite loop ...
pid 12 (sh), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space.

Whatever help or links you could email me would be helpful and greatly=20
appreciated.
Thanks!
Andrew.

supported for read-only access by the CDROM driver. WORM/CD-R/CD-RW writing=20
support is provided by cdrecord, which is in the ports tree.
The following CD-ROM type systems are supported at this time:

cd - SCSI interface (includes ProAudio Spectrum and SoundBlaster SCSI)

matcd - Matsushita/Panasonic (Creative SoundBlaster) proprietary interface=20
(562/563 models)

scd - Sony proprietary interface (all models)

acd - ATAPI IDE interface
The following drivers were supported under the old SCSI subsystem, but=20

--part1_31.11101228.27cde862_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>FreeBSD Support,
<BR>I am an experienced UNIX user but new to LINUX and BSD.
<BR>I am trying to install a new version I got at the LINUX Expo in NYC in F=
eb2001
<BR>onto an old 486/dx33 gateway PC with a Sony CDROM drive and 15" SVGA mon=
itor
<BR>with 8 MB ram and 405 MB hard-drive.
<BR>The initial config installer sees all the devices except for my Sony CDR=
OM=20
<BR>drive.
<BR>I get to the final point where I hit return and I tell it to reformat my=
=20
<BR>hard-drive
<BR>and install the LINUX Os from the CDROM drive and all I see is a blue sc=
reen=20
<BR>with
<BR>a white cursor in lower left corner. If I hit the num_lock key I get to=20=
a DOS=20
<BR>prompt
<BR>screen that says the following: =A0... it spits out a line a second and=20=
it runs=20
<BR>off the monitor and never changes or stops ... infinite loop ...
<BR>pid 12 (sh), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space.
<BR>
<BR>Whatever help or links you could email me would be helpful and greatly=20
<BR>appreciated.
<BR>Thanks!
<BR>Andrew.
<BR>
<BR>supported for read-only access by the CDROM driver. WORM/CD-R/CD-RW writ=
ing=20
<BR>support is provided by cdrecord, which is in the ports tree.
<BR>The following CD-ROM type systems are supported at this time:
<BR>
<BR>cd - SCSI interface (includes ProAudio Spectrum and SoundBlaster SCSI)
<BR>
<BR>matcd - Matsushita/Panasonic (Creative SoundBlaster) proprietary interfa=
ce=20
<BR>(562/563 models)
<BR>
<BR>scd - Sony proprietary interface (all models)
<BR>
<BR>acd - ATAPI IDE interface
<BR>The following drivers were supported under the old SCSI subsystem, but=20
<BR>
<BR>
<BR></FONT></HTML>

--part1_31.11101228.27cde862_boundary--