Date:      Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:49:50 -0500
From:      Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
To:        lists@midsummerdream.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.0 not detecting hot swap drive insertion

Rob wrote:
> I'm running a 10 hot-swap SATA disk ZFS pool and recently upgraded
> from 7.2 to 8.  Since I upgraded, freebsd isn't spinning up or
> recognizing a new drive that is inserted.  In freebsd 7.[0,2], I could
> remove a drive and insert a new one and freebsd would recognize it,
> spin it up, and create the device nodes.  None of that is happening in
> 8.0, and the only way I've found to get it to recognize the disk is to
> reboot the system.
>
> I tried using atacontrol to force freebsd to reinit an ata channel,
> but that didn't have any effect.  Did something change in 8.0 that
> prevents this auto-detection?  Is there a way to re-enable it?

Are you using the original (7.x) ata(4) driver or the newer enhanced
SATA drivers like ahci(4) or siis(4)?  If you're using the latter your
devices will be labeled /dev/ada* instead of /dev/ad*.  If you are
indeed using the newer enhanced SATA drivers, you will need to use
camcontrol to reset and rescan the associated SATA channels.